Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Praise


I read something today in Focus on the Family Thriving Family (pg. 11 if you have it) that tugged on my heart.  The well-worn advice to "praise in public, criticize in private" is particularly applicable to children, who can be profoundly affected by what they hear said about themselves in the presence of others. -from the Complete Guide to Baby and Child Care by Dr. Paul c. Reisser.

There were some examples that simply melted  my heart.  Granted, I  have a whole lot of pregnancy hormones that add to my sensitivity but it was such a wonderful reminder of how our words affect people...especially our little people.  I know that I can find more opportunities to praise my children in public!  I was also convicted by the fact that in comfortable situations with friends or at a family members house where I am more distracted that I am less likely to pull the kids aside to talk to them about misbehavior or things that are inappropriate. Instead I call out to them and have that conversation for everyone to hear...or perhaps even worse, I share a few words that show my disapproval without any follow up in attempt to stop the unwanted behavior.  I shudder to think how my words and actions impact them in those moments.  Proverbs 12:25 says that an anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up. May the Lord fill my heart and mind with kind words for my children...that I wouldn't make them anxious but that I will continually build them up! I praise God for the good things he has done.  My children know they are loved...I just want to do it better and 110% of the time.

1 comment:

The Hamilton House said...

Miss Tara,
I thank you for posting this- I read this post awhile ago and find myself thinking of it often and have even shared your wisdom with others. I had to come back and read it again tonight and am going to even google and try to print out that article. Your children are blessed as are you!